In this guide we’ll take a look at the best collapsible laundry baskets.
I’ve compared design, size, build quality and cost
to give you my top recommendations.
In this guide we’ll take a look at the best collapsible laundry baskets.
What Is The Best Collapsible Laundry Basket?
More Detailed Collapsible Laundry Basket Reviews
DOKEHOM Collapsible Laundry Basket Review
The DOKEHOM Collapsible Laundry Basket is the best collapsible laundry basket if you don’t have room to store a conventional washing basket. The basket is 40.6 x 40.6 x 55.9 cm when extended and can be collapsed to almost flat. This makes it easy to store in a small space near your washing machine.
This collapsible laundry basket is made from thick durable cotton and is also waterproof which keeps your clean washing spotless and protected from dirt and damp. The handles of this collapsible laundry basket are made of leather and riveted to the body of the basket with steel making them durable and strong. This enables you to carry large amounts of weight in the laundry basket without risking breaking the handles.
The folding laundry basket also has a drawstring lining that can be closed to help keep your clean washing protected and dust free. This laundry basket also works well as a storage option as the foldability means it can be tucked away when not required and the drawstring lining helps keep dust off your stored items.
This is the best collapsible laundry basket as it can collapse to a very small size meaning it doesn’t take up much room. However, when extended it is thick, durable, waterproof and has strong well-secured handles. It’s the best foldable laundry basket for families or anyone that needs to save on space but still needs a good, strong laundry basket.
- Lightweight so easy to move from bedroom to washing machine
- Inner lining can simply be wiped clean when needed
- Large capacity - can fit a week’s worth of clothing for up to 4 people
- Drawstring on top prevents socks falling out on your way to the washing machine and keeps dirty laundry from view
- Not particularly sturdy when filled with clothes
- May start to look creased over time
Brabantia Collapsible Laundry Basket Review
The Brabantia Collapsible Laundry Basket is another great collapsible laundry basket as its 42 x 25 x 36 cm size means it can hold plenty of washing, but it can be folded to almost flat making it great to store. This is a slightly smaller foldable laundry basket but can easily hold a full load of washing. This basket folds flat and can pop itself up in seconds making it very quick and convenient to use.
This collapsible laundry basket is waterproof helping to keep the water from wet washing in or, stopping your clean washing getting damp or dirty. This folding laundry basket is made of canvas but, has a solid base so once extended it is still very sturdy. Flexible wire allows the basket to fold but remain rigid when extended.
This is a great collapsible laundry basket for someone that has a small space to store their basket and doesn’t need a really large washing basket.
- Folds almost flat for easy storage in a drawer when not in use
- 35L is ample space for one large load of washing or two small loads
- Main interior can be wiped clean and is waterproof so protected from wet towels and clothing
- Neat and minimalist design looks unobtrusive and looks good in most bedrooms / bathrooms
- While the inside is mainly waterproof, seams are porous and mildew may form if they become wet
- Cannot be carried with one handle as it’ll collapse, so you won’t have a hand free to open the washing machine door
Addis Foldable Collapsible Laundry Basket Review
The Addis Foldable Collapsible Laundry Basket is sized at 45 x 61 x 28 cm. This folding laundry basket is a mix of plastic and canvas and is very sturdy. It doesn’t fold completely flat so won’t fit into a very thin gap because of the plastic section. However, the plastic adds strength to the product making it sturdier and giving the basket longevity.
This is a great foldable laundry basket for a family that needs a sturdy product that can stand the test of time. It is large and holds a lot of laundry but can still be tucked away due to its collapsibility.
- Plastic construction means it’s waterproof and very easy to clean
- 45L is ample space for multiple loads of washing
- Carrying handles are strong and sturdy - easy to transport from bathroom to washing machine
- Can be collapsed fully and by half which means it fits neatly underneath the washing machine door for easy loading
- A little heavy even when empty at just under 1kg. Those with limited mobility or injuries may struggle to lift it when full of washing
- Although it collapses down for storage, the footprint is still relatively large
- Doesn’t collapse completely flat - you will still need a relatively sizable area for storage
- It can be a little tricky to collapse at times due to the stiff rubber
Denny International Collapsible Laundry Basket Review
The Denny International Collapsible Laundry Basket is sized at 60.5 x 45.4 x 26.5cm and is made from a combination of plastic and canvas making it foldable but still hard wearing. This collapsible laundry basket is particularly lightweight whilst remaining large and is capable of holding multiple loads of laundry.
This foldable laundry basket is great for someone that doesn’t have their washing machine in their home and must travel. Due to it being lightweight it can be transported easily and can hold multiple loads of washing making your trip to the launderette as efficient as possible.
- Large capacity makes it suitable for big families and multiple loads of washing
- Very easy to collapse down and expand with minimal strength required
- Made from plastic and rubber so can simply be wiped clean
- Strong handles make it easy to carry a full load of washing
- Folds are not the best quality and may weaken eventually
- May eventually lose its sturdiness when expanded
Beldray Collapsible Laundry Basket Review
This Beldray Collapsible Laundry Basket is sized at 60 x 44 x 28 cm. It can fold away to almost flat enabling it to fit in the smallest of spaces for storage. This laundry basket is made from rigid plastic which gives it strength, and canvas that allows it to fold flat.
This beldray collapsible laundry basket is perfect for someone living in a small flat or apartment. Its size allows it to be tucked away easily, but it does limit the amount of washing it can hold making this a good choice for a single person or couple. Overall the beldray collapsible laundry basket is an excellent choice!
- Plastic construction means it can be wiped clean in just a few seconds
- Very lightweight so easy to carry to the washing machine or laundrette even when filled with clothes
- Coloured rubber section is very thick and durable
- Just under 8.5cm thick once collapsed - can be stored in very small drawers and cupboards
- Not as large as others on the market - 27L capacity may only hold one load of washing
- Folding it down takes some getting used to as there is a specific technique needed to get it flat
- Needs to be carried with two hands - no hand free to hold the banister or open the machine
Things to Know Before Buying a Collapsible Laundry Basket
A laundry basket is a must-have for any household, and those who are especially in the know when it comes to space saving might opt for a collapsible basket. These, as the name suggests, can simply be collapsed down when not in use! They are a great option for small utility rooms or bedrooms, and they’re often designed with easy portability in mind too.
Not sure what to look for when it comes to the best collapsible laundry basket? Take a look at some of these tips.
Benefits of a Collapsible Laundry Basket
Of course, the number one benefit of using a collapsible laundry basket is that they save space in your home. Many utility rooms and bedrooms simple aren’t large enough for traditional laundry baskets, and this is where collapsible models come in. They fold virtually flat, so can be stored in small areas when not in use.
Folding washing baskets are also suitable for those without washing facilities at their home. They can be transported easily and discreetly to launderettes if needed.
Material and Waterproofing
Collapsible laundry baskets can be made from a range of materials, including cotton, silicon, canvas and plastic. Unlike traditional washing baskets, they are unlikely to be made using wicker.
Ease of cleaning is one of the most important things to look out for. Those made with plastic or silicone parts can usually be wiped down, and if the fabric parts are waterproof, these too can simply be wiped clean.
Choosing the right Capacity
Collapsible laundry baskets are available in an array of sizes to suit your home. Those with a larger capacity will be able to accommodate towels, bedding and other heavier items, while smaller baskets can be used for lightweight clothing and underwear. If you’re going to be carrying a large amount of washing at once, opt for a basket with a capacity of 40L or more. Those with a capacity of under 30L will likely hold just one load of washing so are a better option for small households.
Whether you have washing facilities at your house or not, the chances are you’re going to have to carry your laundry basket at least a short distance. If you don’t have washing facilities at your home, portability is extra important, both when the basket is expanded and folded.
Look for comfortable carrying handles that offer good grip, and ideally you should be able to access the handles even when the basket is collapsed. Some laundry baskets will collapse unless they are carried with a hand on each side, so it’s worth bearing this in mind if you have a lot of doors to open on your way to the machine!
Finally, look at at the weight of your laundry basket. Some are much lighter than others, although you may find lightweight baskets have a smaller capacity or are less sturdy. When filled with washing they will be a lot heavier, so it’s worth purchasing a lightweight model if you struggle carrying heavy items.
Collapsible Laundry Basket FAQ
How do you clean a laundry basket?
It’s important to clean your laundry basket on a regular basis – both for hygiene and your own peace of mind! This is especially important if you also use your laundry basket to transport clean clothes back upstairs.
To clean your basket, I recommend giving it a thorough wash in soap and a hot water, then spray the water off using a hose. Leave it to air dry.
How to keep your laundry basket clean
While laundry baskets are designed for dirty laundry, there’s a few ways you can help keep it clean and free from mould. First, never put wet bath or beach towels into your basket. Instead, hang them out to dry before washing.
Another tip is to avoid putting sweaty gym clothes into your basket. Try to wash them straight away, as they offer the perfect spot for mould to thrive! If you aren’t ready to wash them, hang them out to dry before putting them into the basket.