In this guide we’ll take a look at the best garden storage benches for the UK market.
I’ve compared design, features, build quality and cost
to give you my top recommendations.
What is The Best Garden Storage Bench?
In a rush? Here’s my top choice…
Everything I Recommend
More Detailed Garden Storage Bench Reviews
Rowlinson Rattan Storage Bench Review
Stylish outdoor seating isn’t always easy to find, especially when you’re looking for something that will also work simultaneously as practical storage.
The Rowlinson Rattan Storage Bench comes in a modern, understated grey which complements most of the tones commonly found in the garden – from red brickwork to green vegetation and neutral paving. The biggest risk with storage benches is that they look bulky and out of place, but this rattan-effect storage solution is subtle and discreet.
Besides complementing the garden aesthetically, it offers 150 L of storage space which is ideal for holding cushions and blankets, or even kid’s toys if you don’t want them littering the lawn.
The bench is fully weatherproof, with a hardwood timber construction and durable rattan-effect weave. It can be left outside in bad weather and is perfect for two people to sit on comfortably.
Even the grey padded bench cushion is showerproof, though it should be brought in during heavier rain to extend its life. Whilst the contents of the bench will also be relatively well protected during light rain, it’s not advisable to leave textiles in there for extended periods – like anything left outside they will likely get affected by damp after a while.
The storage space is accessed via the hinged seating area. It sits neatly flush when closed and is well reinforced to provide comfortable and secure seating as well.
- Straight forward assembly with clear instructions and included Allen key.
- Good size for two people to sit comfortably.
- The rattan and wood combination stand up to weather well, so no need to bring inside.
- Due to the ‘weave’ water may get into the storage area during heavy rain.
- Fabric items shouldn’t be stored for prolonged periods or during bad weather.
- Can’t be locked with a padlock as there is no staple or loop.
Keter Eden Plastic Garden Storage Bench Review
The weather in the UK can be varied to say this least, capable of dishing out snow, rain and sun – and that’s just in one day! Garden furniture therefore has to stand up to some gruelling conditions, and can require a lot of maintenance to keep it in good condition. Fortunately, this Keter Eden Plastic Garden Storage Bench is made entirely from high-quality resin that won’t fade in the sun and is also water resistant.
Unlike wooden furniture, which requires treatment every year or so to keep it weatherproof, resin items don’t require any attention – after the initial assembly of this bench, it won’t need a further thought.
Not only is this a comfortable bench that can seat two people, it’s also a storage unit with a 265 L capacity. The hinged lid is easily lifted to reveal sufficient storage space for numerous items; it’s large enough to even fit those green council recycling boxes to tidy them away in the garden.
If you’re an avid gardener with a lack of storage space, this bench is also a great place to keep small tools and gardening instruments. There is a loop for a padlock for further security, although there is some give in the lid still so it’s not advisable to keep really valuable items inside.
Measuring H 84 x W 140 x D 60 cm, this bench is a suitable size for both smaller and larger gardens, offering plenty of storage without being overwhelmingly big. In general, its contents are kept relatively dry, although you shouldn’t bank on it being entirely watertight.
- No annual maintenance required as opposed to with a wooden bench.
- Large enough to fit bigger items like green recycling boxes.
- Colour works well in garden to complement surroundings.
- If seat is wet, lid needs to be lifted slowly or water will enter into storage compartment.
- May not be watertight enough to keep contents dry during rain.
- Unlikely to be 100% secure if padlocked as lid can be lifted either side – not for storing valuables.
Saxon Garden Storage Bench Box Review
When storage is at a premium, multifunctioning storage benches can be a crafty way to make the most of available space. Luckily, with options like the Saxon Garden Storage Bench Box available, with its 454 L capacity, these benches are large enough to act as extremely practical solutions.
With the appearance of a dark wooden trunk, this resin bench blends in well with the appearance of the garden, looking neither out of place nor synthetic. And yet, due to its plastic resin construction, it doesn’t require any of the weatherproofing maintenance that a wooden item would need.
As the largest-capacity bench featured on this list, this trunk-style seat can easily store bigger gardening items, tools or equipment. It can be locked with a padlock, and is reasonably secure, although storing very valuable items in these types of benches isn’t recommended.
Made of recyclable material, this is a reassuringly environmentally conscious option – in a world getting warier of buying plastic items, it’s refreshing when manufacturers go to the effort of making sure their products can be recycled. The resin is also weather resistant and waterproof, unaffected by the effects of either blistering sun or heavy rain.
- Very sturdy construction which is able to hold heavier items such as wood, bags of compost and deckchairs.
- Piston hinges help the lid stay up by itself – no need to hold it up whilst accessing storage.
- A good level of weathertightness – keeps out rain even in heavier downpours.
- Quick assembly in around 25 minutes.
- Water may run off the lid into the storage area if opened when lid is wet,
- Plastic can be brittle in cold weather – best to assemble when it is warmer to avoid cracks.
- Some pieces can be harder to slot together during assembly – a rubber mallet may be required.
GSD Waterproof Garden Storage Bench Box Review
If you’re simply looking for basic garden storage, the GSD Waterproof Garden Storage Bench Box is a good value storage box that does everything you would expect – it keeps the contents dry and provides an extra seat for the garden.
It’s sturdy and hardwearing, and works well to store items like children’s toys. As the cheapest storage bench featured here, it doesn’t have the same aesthetic qualities as more expensive models – but as a purely practical solution to garden organisation, it’s ideal. Plus, again, as more of a budget item, it’s great for kids to use.
Of course, with a 300 L capacity, it’s also useful for storing other garden items such as tools, bird feed, and cushions, without worrying that they’ll get wet.
It requires next to no assembly, slotting together in around five minutes without the need for tools.
The 60 cm height makes it perfect for sitting on, while the maximum weight capacity is 300 kg. It seats 2 people comfortably, so it’s also a great option if you run out of seating at parties.
- Stays dry inside even after heavy rain showers.
- Sideways opening lids mean it can be positioned flush against wall without hinges in the way.
- Very easy to assemble in around 5 minutes by clicking pieces together.
- Must ensure that lids meet and lock properly in the middle, otherwise water may get in.
- In windy weather the lids may need to be secured with a padlock to top them opening.
- Not suitable for valuable items as even when locks the lids could be removed.
Keter Eden Garden Storage Bench Review
The best garden storage benches will be inconspicuous; charming as benches in their own right with subtle storage as a bonus. Enter: the Keter Eden Garden Storage Bench. With a charcoal grey mock-wood finish, this stylish bench would be a great addition to the garden even if it didn’t have a practical storage compartment – but it’s pretty excellent that it does!
An ideal size for seating two adults, at 140 x 84 x 60 cm, this bench has a firm resin construction that is sturdy and feels very secure to sit on. One could easily forget about the 265 L storage compartment hiding underneath. And yet, 265 L is a lot of storage space, meaning cushions, gardening tools and children’s tools can all be squirrelled away out of sight.
As expected from Keter, this model is both weatherproof and waterproof, doing a great job of keeping the contents dry even in heavy rain. Although, of course, as with all storage benches (no matter how weatherproof), it’s worth bearing in mind that stored items will still be susceptible to damp. Still, during warm summer days even textile items can be stored safely, allowing for cushions, blankets and throws to be pulled out at a moment’s notice.
The bench can also be locked using a padlock, adding a bit more security to the idea of leaving things in it overnight. However, this is probably most useful for deterring animals from getting inside rather than stopping thieves, so storing very valuable items inside the bench isn’t recommended.
- A great level of waterproof inside the storage compartment (although not protected from damp).
- Relatively quick assembly in around 30 – 45 mins.
- Large enough to fit longer items like brooms and spades, and even folded-down lawnmowers (check specific dimensions first!).
- Bench is sufficiently comfortable even without a cushion.
- Some pieces of moulded plastic may need to be trimmed on arrival, in order to make the ‘push and click’ assembly work properly.
- The bottom of the storage area is not reinforced so heavier items like bricks/cement shouldn’t be placed inside.
- The plastic can get hot in direct sunlight, so you may want a cushion for sitting on it on warm days.
- Not suitable for storing valuables as the padlock could be cut from the plastic with tools.
Keter Hudson Garden Storage Bench Review
For smaller gardens, the Keter Hudson Garden Storage Bench offers 260 L of storage in a slightly more compact design than the other benches featured here.
Measuring 132.7 x 89 x 61.2 cm, it’s marginally shorter than the Keter Eden bench, suitable for fitting into smaller nooks in the garden, whilst still offering a substantial amount of storage space.
With a two-tone finish, the resin construction of this bench doesn’t look overly synthetic or plasticky, yet it’s infinitely easier to maintain than a wooden model. Remaining weatherproof and water resistant throughout the seasons, without any treatment needed, it’s certainly a time and effort saver as well.
Whilst the smaller size may make it more difficult to store longer items likes brooms and spades, there’s still ample space for storing patio supplies, yard games, candles and other outdoor items. Plus, you can be safe in the knowledge that they are protected from the elements outside.
One thing to note: the storage compartment may let water in during heavy rain – as always, it’s worth considering what you’re looking to store and at what time of year.
- Two-tone grey finish has a contemporary appearance that complements most gardens.
- Seating area of bench is firm and comfortably seats two people.
- Large enough to store at least 10 chair cushions or a small lawn mower.
- Comfortable enough to not require cushions for sitting (unless it’s hot weather!).
- During heavy rain some water may enter into the storage compartment.
- The ‘snap’ parts do not always fit together well so assembly can be a little difficult.
- May not be suitable for storing textiles if rain is forecast.
- If placed in direct sunlight the eat surface can get very hot and may need a cushion.
Things to Know Before Buying a Garden Storage Bench
Garden storage benches are the best way to make sure that you are optimising garden space efficiently.
This can be particularly relevant for those with small gardens, but really applies across the board.
If you’re going to have a bench, why not take advantage of the ground area already being used and get one with a built-in storage compartment.
Here are a few things to consider, to make sure you’re making an informed purchase and getting the best garden storage bench for your needs:
The initial choice you have to make when deciding on which garden storage bench is best for you is the material. There are just two main materials to choose from: plastic resin or wood.
Plastic resin is a more modern choice:
- It often comes in a style that is made to resemble wood.
- It’s much more durable than wood.
- It’s weatherproof, waterproof, difficult to damage and very easy to maintain(a wash with soap and water once a year will usually suffice) .
- Some, more expensive, plastic benches will have UV protection – they won’t fade if exposed to continuous sunlight.
- The storage compartments on plastic benches will generally be more protected from the elements compared to wooden benches.
Wood is a more traditional choice:
- It offers a timeless and classic aesthetic addition to the garden.
- It needs to be treated yearly to make sure that the wood doesn’t rot.
- The storage compartment may not be watertight as wooden benches are often slatted.
- It will start to show weather damage over the years.
There are two main reasons to be concerned with seat size.
Firstly, you need to consider where you’re going to put the bench. Storage benches are great for smaller gardens, but of course it won’t be ideal if it takes up too much space.
Secondly, how many people are going to want to sit on it? As we’ve seen in the reviews above, most benches measuring 140 cm across are suitable for two adults. However, the Monks Garden Storage Bench is a little smaller, with a width of 115 cm. It might be a bit more of a squeeze for two adults, but it will fit into a small garden easily and could be great for kids.
Consider how much space you have in the garden and how many people are realistically going to want to use the bench at one time. You may have to reach a bit of a compromise when it comes to choosing the best storage bench for your garden vs. the space you have available.
And so, lastly, we arrive at the question of storage. Of course, if you’re buying a storage bench, you want the storage compartment to be genuinely useful to you. Otherwise, it may as well just be any old bench.
You will need to look at the specifications for the bench you want to buy, and check the storage compartment size carefully – it often differs from the outer dimensions of the bench.
Finally, bear in mind that not all storage compartments are made equal. If you want to store cushions and toys, in a bench outside, you’re going to want something watertight. As we’ve seen in the reviews above, the resin benches normally offer more protection from the elements than the wooden ones.
Don’t forget, these may “officially” be garden benches, but they also offer extremely practical indoor storage solutions; for playrooms, bedrooms, and conservatories!
Garden Storage Bench FAQs
Wooden benches which are situated outside generally need to be treated every 6 – 12 months to protect them from the weather.
You should also make sure to frequently gently clean your bench so that it won’t be affected by mildew or moss.
Be careful keeping textiles in storage benches. If your bench is inside, you can keep cushions in it no problem. However, if your bench is outside, you’ll need to make sure it’s really watertight before storing textiles in it. Even if you think it’s watertight, don’t leave textile items in for long periods of time as they may get damp.
You need to consider the size of your garden (or indoor space if putting it inside) and what you wish to store in it. If you have a smaller garden, or wish to tuck your bench away in a corner, there are compact options available. Ultimately, you should make sure it’s still suitable for storing everything you need.